Divorce affects everyone in the family and, like families, no two divorces are alike. There are many reasons to choose mediation for divorce. One of the most important is that mediation has the ability to preserve relationships and heal families once the mediation is over. At the end of the day, divorce is about relationships. It is about navigating changed relationships and forging new ones.
Should Children Be Included In Mediation?
While the primary estrangement in a divorce is between parents, children are also being separated, although in a different way. The impact of divorce on children is significant. Should children be a part of the mediation process?
The short answer is “yes”. However, there are many factors that need to be considered. These are just a few of the things to think about when including children in mediation.
- How old are the children?
- Can children even understand what mediation is about?
- What kind of relationships do the children have with each parent and each other?
- Are there things affecting the children separate from the divorce such has disabilities, stress from school or going through a change such as puberty?
Once The Decision Is Made
Once the parents and mediator have decided that it is appropriate to include children in mediation, there are more decisions to be made. Such as:
- When to bring them into the process
- How to explain their role in the mediation and in the divorce
- Preparing them for what things will be like for them and the whole family after the divorce
How Mediation Can Help Heal Families
One of the many benefits of mediation includes the freedom to make an agreement that is good for everyone. Additionally, mediation can find a solution that is right for your family. Mediation can provide a platform where everyone in the family is heard. It can also show the divorced family that divorce doesn’t mean that the family is broken, it is just different from what it was before. Contact us. We specialize in divorce. Because your marriage broke up doesn’t mean your family has to.